Pages

Thursday 22 January 2015

...Salty Snow Day


While cleaning out the office the other day I found my watercolour paints! Decided to try out this trend for watercolouring and loved it. I painted a sort of hill shape with the darkest blue and then added lighter blue and finally a touch of green at the top. I was going for a sort of northern-lights type of sky. I stamped a large tree (from the Fosty in the Pines set) in versacolour and then used white embossing powder. I heat set it. I wanted to add a little sparkle, so I used the heat gun to re-melt the embossing powder and sprinkled on some superfine glitter. Then I added a little snow swirl by dotting with my gel pen.


This was a fast card, I trimmed the panel slightly smaller than a card front and then used the paint brush to paint a little  border close to the edge of the card base. Once dry I attached the front panel. The sentiment is from Warm Fuzzies.

I used to love to paint with watercolours and one of my favourite things to help create texture was to sprinkle salt onto the wet paint, it sort of sucks the paint in and creates little areas of concentrated colour, sometimes you don't want the speckle effect, but I liked it for this snowy card. Since I was going to stamp over the paint, I waited till it was all dry and then rubbed all the salt off, leaving the surface smooth for stamping. You can leave the salt on if you like the texture. I would not recommend this technique for archival work tho, I'm not sure the salt would be a good long term partner to precious pictures etc.

Right, I'm off, I'm working on a big sale at the store, just waiting for a tech dude to write me a bit of code so I can add my wee sale stickers....chat soon!




20 comments:

  1. Beautiful Claire. Love the watercolor in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire - this is absolutely gorgeous! Love the shades of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! The snow swirl would be a lovely additional stamp for that set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should really use your watercolors more often - this is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful!!! Love the snow swirl and glittery tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! You've inspired me to get my watercolor's out and you've just said my favorite word.....sale! Yay! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the salt effect! I also love my watercolors! Gorgeous card Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is fabulous, Claire! I love how you did the border on the base card too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! I love the water colored panel you created.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Claire!! I've never tried the salt technique...you've inspired me! Now I just have to make time to do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really beautiful! I love the salt technique with watercolours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Claire...both the colors and the technique..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous card Claire! That is the artist in you coming out! I would have never thought of using the salt technique on paper: I once took a class where we dyed fabric and sprinkled it with rock salt, and it made the color move AWAY from the salt. It left lovely light, circular areas in the dyed fabric: so pretty! Have a great day! Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooooh, super frosty effect with the swirly snow! Love the edging too! Thanks, Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty scene Claire - love your snow swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your card : it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, :) I read them all and I appreciate you taking time to visit!